Sunday, June 13, 2010

"The Headband Story"

This has been dubbed "The Headband Story" because I've told it at least a couple dozen times, mostly by request. So, I thought I'd better write it down for posterity's sake.

For Wendy's wedding, she wanted the little girls (my two girls and 2 other nieces, Isabelle and Claire) to wear white dresses. As the outfits came together, I realized that they had white dresses, white cardigans, white tights, and white shoes. I decided they needed some color and what better way than with a cute headband flower or bow. Wendy's colors for her wedding were "earth tones" like browns, oranges, greens, blues, etc. I looked around for some baby headbands in those colors but didn't have much luck. I decided it couldn't be that hard to make my own so I went to Wal-mart and got some stretchy headbands and then to Tai-Pan,a home decorating store with tons of fake flowers, for some flowers in the right colors. I borrowed my friend Heather's hot glue gun (cause I'm not even crafty enough to have a hot glue gun) and started making the headbands. The headbands had come in a package of 6, so I made some extras of different colors. I thought I had done such a good job that I took a picture. I was really feeling good about them, in a Martha Stewart-kind of way. I could hardly wait for the girls to wake up from their nap to try them on.

The top two are for the wedding. Anyhow, I've never made anything like this before, so I didn't realize that as I was making the headbands I had them flat on the table. But, when I put them on the baby's heads, they stretched and rounded out. The result:

Some of the comments made about these pictures as I've told the story were, "They look like they're going spelunking" and "She looks like the queen of hearts".

Well, Doug and I were just laughing, but he came up with a good idea: why don't I just add some more flowers to fill in the gaps. I thought, "Brilliant!" So, I had some extra flowers that I just added in between. I thought that they looked even better. I was so thrilled that I took another picture.

Again, I could hardly wait until the babies woke up from their naps to try them on. When I did, both Doug and I could not help but laugh. When I put it on Ellie, he said, "You know what she looks like? The Chiquita Banana lady!" We both just laughed even harder.



Well, now I didn't know what to do but I was determined at this point to have cute headbands for the wedding. A girl at work suggested a place in the mall and I ended up going there to buy some headbands and flowers. Once at home, I decided I didn't really like the flowers I had just bought at the mall and the ones I had from Tai-Pan were much cuter. My great friend Heather offered to help make some clips with the Tai-Pan flowers. She did a great job and the end result was super cute!

The headbands I made luckily didn't go to waste. Isabelle and Claire were able to wear them and looked adorable. Several people came up to me and told me what a good job I did making the headbands. I just had to laugh.


4 comments:

  1. Liz, You were right, this story is so much funnier with the pictures. The headbands are super cute though, too bad the girls were too little to wear them. We have a blog too if you want to check it out. I don't post very often any more though. www.amieandchad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're more brave than me to even attempt craftiness and headbands! That is funny and I'm glad you took some pictures to go along with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious! They do look cute when not on a little baby's head. Nice job, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duke, I can't get over how great this story is. I love the colors, and they do look adorable on the older girls. Thanks for the tips, though, as I'm sure I would have done exactly the same thing.

    ReplyDelete